Home | Legals | Data Protection | Sitemap | interACT

Waseda University


You have been admitted to the interACT exchange program at the Waseda University. There is a lot to do before your trip can start. At first it is very important for the Waseda University to know the intended period (from DD/MM/YY to DD/MM/YY) of your stay. You should have an idea of the start date at least. 


Besides, you need to organize your flight, a place to live, appointments with contact persons and the consulate, fill in forms etc. The following general information and guideline will help you. 


Please note: Waseda University supports only graduate students (this means a Bachelorthesis will not be accepted).



For your stay at Waseda University you need a student visa – the Certificate of Eligibility. Waseda University will apply for the visa in cooperation with the International Office, which is coordinating the Overseas Researcher Exchange Program. The application can take up to four weeks at least. You should start the application process 3 months better 3 1/2 months before your stay at Waseda University. 


Certificate of Eligibility

You need the following documents for the Certificate of Eligibility:


  1. A Letter of Recommendation of your advisor at KIT (given by interACT office at KIT)
  2. A copy of your Prediploma/Bachelor in German and English (you can translate it by yourself) 
  3. Two photographs (3cm x 4cm)
  4. An interACT confirmation letter (given by interACT office at KIT)
  5. A colour copy of your passport
  6. The Information Sheet 
  7. The Waseda University Research Intern Program Application Form 
  8. A Research Plan for your thesis 
  9. A Certificate of Registration 
  10. An Agreement to pay your expenses 
  11. A Bank statement. This can be done in one of two ways: 


  • A statement from your bank in English confirming you posses the amount of 1600 – 2000 Euro per month (ca.  155.607 - 194.508 Yen per month). 

    An Examples for the bank statement: 

    This is to certify that (your name), resident in (your address) is our customer. We hereby confirm that (your name) is able to provide the amount of (amount in Euro or USD) to support himself for his period of study in Japan.

  • Alternatively an original statement of your account is accepted, but you have to add a translation of it in English (the translation can be done by yourself). Be mindful to state the amount of money in Yen, too.

    According to the International Office the amount of 1600 Euro (155.607 Yen) is sufficient to apply for the visa application. But consider that an accommodation cost around 90,000 Yen (ca. 926 Euro) at Waseda University.


Visa-related documents if needed
submission: iss-waseda does-not-exist.list waseda jp
Within the first week of your arrival, you have to visit the International Scholar Services (ISS). Don't forget to contact your supervisor and ask about your first day ;)


Documents for Waseda University (submit at least 3 months before your start date)

(See Proceduresheet) Even if you are not supported during the visa application you have to hand in the following documents to Waseda University here.

  • Letter of Recommendation (issued by the head of the applicant’s home institution; addressed to the President of Waseda University)
  • Form 1 from Waseda University (CV and questionnaire): maximum research period is 90 days. State the 180 days as 2 periods of 90 days (you need to change the form slightly)
  • Form 2 (Research Plan)
  • Form 3 (Research Achievement; e.g. your thesis or leaving empty)
  • Certificate of Enrollment (English, must contain the whole period of enrollment and your current status as well as your current degree)



If you asked for housing in your documents after some time the administration will ask you if you want to stay in one of Waseda's guesthouses. Depending on guesthouse and exchange rate this costs about 800-900 € per month. Transactions from foreign bank accounts are not accepted. Thus, make sure to either pay in cash or via credit card. Also, there is no guarantee for vacant rooms so be sure to apply early enough.


Health insurance

Japan has a national health insurance. If you are only staying for 6 months you don't have to participate but get your own health insurance instead.


SIM card

Currently, foreigners who are not registered are not able to purchase a regular SIM card but mobile data only. Make sure to inform yourself beforehand.


Please send all the documents mentioned above to the Waseda University via e-mail. Be aware that you also have to send the original documents via (postal)mail (except your passport of course).


 For further information on Visa-Extensions view the document here.