Home | Legals | Data Protection | Sitemap | interACT

Nara Institute of Science and Technology




You have been admitted to the CLICS exchange program at the Nara Institute of Science and Technology. There is a lot to do before your trip can start. At first it is very important for the Nara Institute of Science and Technology to know the intended period (from DD/MM/YY to DD/MM/YY) of your stay. You should have an idea of the start date at least.

Besides, you need to organize your flight, a place to live, appointments with contact persons and fill in forms etc. The following general information and guideline will help you. 

Cultural Activity Visa

To study at the Nara Institute of Science and Technology you can enter Japan without visa. But because your stay will be longer than 90 days, you have to apply for the Cultural Activity Visa for the extension of your stay at the airport after your entry. The Cultural Activity Visa allows a stay for 6 months. After the end of the visa you have to depart, but you can enter Japan again as a tourist. You need the following documents to receive the Cultural Activity Visa during the arrival process at the airport passport control:

  1. A valid passport
  2. Letter of Recommendation by KIT 
  3. CLICS confirmation letter
  4. NAIST invitation letter (Ms. Matsuda will sent it to you)
  5. Confirmation of coverage of expenses 
  6. Letter about the purpose of your stay in Japan
  7. Arrival and departure dates. During the landing approach passengers have to complete a form about their stay in Japan. This form will be checked by an official during the passport controls. It is absolutely mandatory to name a time span not longer than 6 months, because this is the limit for the Cultural Activity Visa. 
  8. Contact address in Japan (address of NAIST, telephone number of Ms. Matsuda)
  9. Housing address in Japan (e.g. address of the Guesthouse Sentan, NAIST)
  10. Official brochures of KIT (available at KIT) and NAIST (Ms. Matsuda will sent it to you)
  11. Certificate of Registration (in English)
  12. Certificate of Prediploma/Bachelor (in English), a translation by your own is accepted

Furthermore you will need:

  • Valid health insurance 
  • Two passport photos (not older than 6 months) e.g. for the Alien Registration Card 
  • Internationally valid credit card.
One of our exchange students recommends the Visa Credit Card of DKB (Deutsche Kreditbank). It is free of charge, internationally valid, and does not raise fees for withdrawal. The DKB card can be used at Japan Post (JP) ATMs, Citibank at the 7-11 convenience stores ATMs 

Recommendable is:
  • A copy certificate of vaccination. Standard vaccinations are sufficient. 
  • Copies of all important documents (passport, certificates, letters, ...)
  • Japanese bank account. It is possible to apply for a bank account – you only need a temporary Certificate of Alien Registration, which is a temporary registration as resident